How to Travel from Stockholm Airport to City
Find out the best options for travelling from Stockholm Airport to City by public transport.
The capital and largest city of Sweden, Stockholm is famous for its beauty and breathtaking archipelago. The city is also well known as one of the most expensive countries to visit in Europe.
It is very important to prepare the transfers of the city before you leave home. Make your transfer go smoothly.
Stockholm is called as the central city of Scandinavia. The city is one of the largest industrial and IT hubs in Europe.
Stockholm Airport is Sweden’s central transportation hub. The airport receives a large number of international visitors. Many people transfer from the airport to the city center for Baltic cruises.
In this article, you will find out the best neighbourhood in Sweden first. Then lean the fast and easy ways of Sweden Airport transfer to the area your accommodation is located. Prepare the best ways to transfer from Stockholm Airport to City.
I. Airport Transfer in Stockholm
Stockholm’s transportation system is highly developed. Stockholm Centraal Station is the central hub of the city. From Stockholm Airport, you can some choices to access to the central city.
Stockholm Arland Airport is the main Stockholm airport. The majority of passengers are airport transfer commuters. Transferring to the city centre should be safe even for the early and late time airport arrivals.
Sweden is a developed industrial society and has one of the most highly developed welfare states in the world. The standard of living and life expectancy rank is also stated as the highest in the world. This is the very reason why Stockholm is one of the most expensive cities in Europe. It is important for you to book hotels in Stockholm near cruise port.
Where is the Best Place to Stay in Stockholm City Centre?
The Best 6 Areas to Stay in Amsterdam
Gamla Stan (Old Town) – one of Europe’s oldest preserved medieval cities, close to Royal Palace
Norrmalm – close to Stockholm Central Station, very convenient for sightseeing
Södermalm – plenty of restaurants and cafes, a lot of choices for accommodation
Djurgårde – one of the quieter places to stay in Stockholm, the best for museums to visit and family visitors
Östermalm – the most elegant and exclusive part of Stockholm
Vasastan – the best place to stroll around antique shops and beautiful open spaces like Vasaparken
Stockholm Central Station
Stockholm Central Station (Stockholms Centralstation) is the main transportation hub of Sweden, connecting local train stations throughout the nation. It is also the Arlanda Express arrival and departure train station.
- City Terminal (Cityterminalen) – the central coach terminal station, connecting the Stockholm Airport.
- T-Centralen – an underground stations
- T-Centralen (Spårväg) – a tram stations
- Stockholm City – a local train from Central City
- Centralen – a public bus station nearby Stockholm Central Station
Station access fee
Train passengers who get on and off at Arlanda Central station all need to pay an access fee which costs 120 SEK. If the fee is not included in your fare you can make a payment at the station counter in SkyCity.
Stockholm Things to Do
- Canal Trip
- Gamla Stan
- Vasa Museum
- Modern Art Museum
- Royal Palace
- Drottningholm Palace
- Hallwyl Museum
- The City Hall
- ABBA: Museum
- Beautiful Nordic neighbourhoods at Gamla Stan, Södermalm, Montelliusvagen, Norrmalm and Strandvägen
II. Stockholm Airport to the City Centre
Stockholm-Arlanda Airport (IATA: ARN) is Sweden’s largest international airport. The airport is located about 40 kilometres north of Stockholm City. International aeroplanes arrive either at Terminal 2 or Terminal 5 (source).
All four of Stockholm’s airports are connected to downtown by airport coaches as well as municipal alternatives. Stockholm Airport to downtown is easy to travel. From Stockholm Arlanda Airport you can also choose the high-speed train service Arlanda Express.
Address: Stockholm Arlanda Airport 190 45 Stockholm-Arlanda
How far is Stockholm Airport from city Centre?
Stockholm Airport is located 40 km (25 miles) north of Stockholm city centre. The Arland Express Train takes you from Arlanda Airport to the city centre. The train platform is situated underneath the airport arrival terminals. The Arlanda Express Train departs every 15 minutes for most of the day.
Stockholm Airport General Tips
- Get cash in advance for public transportation. It is available to get it at ATM in Stockholm Airport but is inconvenient to find it and get cash while you carry a heavy suitcase.
- To get on a train you could buy a single ticket with either coins or Dutch bank card to get it at the machine. Otherwise only at the counter.
- If you buy a ticket at the vending machine, be careful with your wallet. Do care about the secrecy of your PIN identification code.
- Stockholm Central Station and its area are by and large safe. It is always good. It is good to stay alert about your luggage and as on any train station in the world beware of pickpockets.
- Stockholm Airport is the busiest place in the city. Give extra attention to your pockets and luggage. If you have much luggage, MRT is not recommended to use due to pickpocket
Which transport options are available?
Find out the different options to transfer from Stockholm Airport to the city centre. My recommendation is Arlanda Express train, a fast and easy way to transfer to central Stockholm.
Arlanda Express – the fastest way to transfer to the city centre by train
Flygbussarna Airport Coaches – an easy and the cheapest way
Taxi – an expensive but comfortable and relaxed door to door transfer
Peneltåg – a local train (SL)
How to get from Stockholm airport to the city centre
1. Arlanda Express Train
Arlanda Express Train is the high-speed train. It offers the fastest and easiest way to transfer to the city centre. Arlanda Express stops at Stockholm Central Station. The train makes a direct and non-stop connection to Stockholm Central Station.
If you are looking for a fast and convenient way to transfer to the city centre, the Arlanda Express is the best.
Operation: Every 15 to 60 minutes for most of the day, running from 5 am to midnight
Travel time: 20 minutes
Arlanda express price: 280 SEK (return 540 SEK) / under 25 years old 150 SEK (return 300 SEK)
*Free Wi-Fi and available USB battery charging
Where can you catch the Arlanda Express?
There are escalators and lifts down to the train from all terminals. Each terminal is connected within 1 minute and is for free of charge
Terminal 2, 3, 4: Arlanda South Train Station
Terminal 5: for Arlanda North Train Station
Can you buy Arlanda Express tickets at the Airport?
You can buy a train ticket at the airport’s information desks. Or find out the Arlanda Express self-service machines. They are located next to the escalators or lifts leading down to the train station.
Note: if you purchase a ticket on a train, you need to add 100SEK. Get a ticket before you get on a train.
2. Arlanda to Stockholm by Bus
The cheapest way to travel from Stockholm Airport to Stockholm is by Flygbussarna Airport Coach. The most convenient Stockholm airline shuttle is to Stockholm Central Station. The coach station is located next to the station and is called Cityterminalen.
Operation: 24 hours for every 15 minutes and from 01:00 am to 05：00 am, operating every 30 to 60 minutes
Travel time: about 45 minutes
Ticket fare: 129 SEK (return 219 SEK)
*Free Wi-Fi and available USB battery charging
*Buses also travel to Liljeholmen via Karolinska, Fridhemsplan and Södermalm (45 min) and to Brommaplan via Kista and Sundbyberg. (50 min).
Where can you find the bus station?
It is important to purchase a bus ticket in advance. The airport official website says that “once you get on a coach, only cards are accepted”. Some people say that there are some routes and that is not available now.
The cheapest way is to purchase it online. The coach ticket is available at:
- Information desks at Arlanda
- Automated machines in the terminals and at the bus stops
- Pressbyrån outlets and 7-Eleven shops
- Flygbussarna’s app
Where can you catch Flygbussarna?
As soon as you get off the arrivals’ terminal, you will find the coach station at each terminal.
3. Commuter trains
Apart from the Arlanda Express high-speed trains, you can find commuter trains.
SL, a public company in Stockholm departs twice an hour from Arlanda Central Station in Sky City. It is located between Terminal 4 and Terminal 5.
38 minutes (between Stockholm Arlanda and Stockholm Central Station)
18 minutes (between Stockholm Arlanda and Uppsala).
Find a schedule and operation time at SL website.
Where can you purchase a train ticket?
You can purchase tickets at the normal SL and UL sales points and at Arlanda Central station.
5. How much is a taxi from Stockholm airport to city Centre?
Taxi from Stockholm Airport to the city centre cost between 500 SEK – 780 SEK. The price is different depending on the companies. Travel time is about 30 to 40 minutes.
Taxi is convenient especially when you have a lot of luggage. Each terminal has taxies at the exit of the arrival’s terminal.
My tip: taxi fares in Sweden are not fixed. Prices can vary significantly between companies. Taxi drivers are also legally allowed to charge any prices as long as they are stated clearly on the sign. It is not a good feeling to be ripped off right from the beginning when you arrive at a foreign country.
For this reason, my suggestions are:
- NEVER step into a Swedish taxi without checking the yellow price sign on the window first.
- Find a sign like ‘Arlanda – Stockholm 600SEK’, which is written on the taxi.
- Ask if the taxi company uses fixed prices. If so, it should be entered and visible in the taxi meter before your journey starts. Make sure the taxi meter is activated throughout your journey.
Can you use a credit card?
Yes. Credit cards are readily accepted. Please do not forget to receive both a delivery note for the card amount and a receipt from the taxi meter.
The receipt is to state the car registration number together with details about the taxi company and driver. For example, the driver code present on the taxi driver identity card.
Keep the receipt. It is useful in a case if you forgot something inside of a taxi or if you make a complaint.
6. Rental Car
The available rental car companies are Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz and Sixt. Apart from Sixt, the car rental offices are located at the Arlanda low-price parking facility Alfa P3.
Cars are collected from and returned to the car rental company’s office unless otherwise agreed.
- At peak traffic hours, parking buses operate often between the terminals and the car rental companies. It is free for use.
- Get a parking bus Beta to Avis, Budget, Europcar and Hertz from terminals 2, 4 and 5
- Get a parking bus Alfa to Sixt from terminals 2, 4 and 5
Bonus Tip!: Visiting Information for Stockholm!
- Travel Visa Information Do You Need a Travel Visa?
- Currency: Sweden is not a part of the European Union. Krone (KES) is the official currency. Go to a currency converter
- Internet: Free WiFi access in Stockholm Airport
- Language – Swedish is the official national language. You will find many people can speak English well.
- Stockholm Weather Information
- Public Holidays in Sweden – change a year
You may enjoy reading more on Stockholm Airport to City:
Find out the best hotels in Stockholm in the best areas near Cruise Port for Baltic Sea Cruises.
Next Reading >> Stockholm Cruise Port for Baltic Cruise
How do you find Transfer from Stockholm Airport to City in this article? If you find this article useful, please share it with your friends and help them on Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter. Thank you for reading!